ES International School: An international school for athletes and non-athletes in Barcelona
Text: Esme Fox | Photos: Es International School
Does your child have ambitions to be the next Nadal, Federer or Djokovic? At the ES International School in Barcelona, students can combine academic learning with practising high-level sports, such as tennis or water polo.
The ES International School, in combination with Academia Sanchez-Casal, is in fact one of the top schools in the world for tennis. Around 70 per cent of the students at the ES International School are there because of its affiliated athletic programs and the other 30 per cent attend purely for its academic curriculum. Athletes and non-athletes are welcomed alike.
While most of the students are here to perfect their tennis, there are also others who train in water polo, equestrianism and various other sports. “Our school doesn’t look like a typical school,” says headmistress Joanne Burns. “It’s very green and has lots of open spaces. We have the privilege of enjoying a beautiful green oasis, right beside the city and the airport.” The school currently has around 130 students and over 40 different nationalities, with people coming to study and train from as far as Japan, Australia and the United States. Working to an American curriculum, the school offers first through 12th grade.
The elementary school is growing, and families are attracted to its multicultural, family-like atmosphere. By September 2020, the elementary school hopes to have gained authorisation as an official International Baccalaureate PYP school. Young learners benefit not only from the best international education possible, but also the best sports and physical training, too.
Student athletes benefit from the flexibility of being able to attend tournaments and competitions, without compromising their academics. Tennis students from the ages of 12 and above also have the option to live on campus in boarding accommodation, provided by the Academia Sanchez-Casal.
Students graduate from ES International School with an American high school diploma, and they can opt to take Advanced Placement classes in tenth to 12th grades. About 95 per cent of graduates go to university, many with sports scholarships to colleges in the United States. “The thing I like best about our school is the focus on individualisation for each child. Because of our small size, we get to know each student very well. We watch them grow and achieve their own goals, and this is very rewarding,” concludes Joanne.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Receive our monthly newsletter by email